Sunday, January 15, 2012

There's no place like home

Gosh, it's hard to come back after all that's been happening recently, but I'm glad to be here and look forward to a better new year. 

First, let me say thanks for the many prayers that have been directed our way recently. My dear mother-in-law passed away just before Christmas as some of you know, and we've been in a bit of a fog ever since. Then I had a flare up of an old health issue and ended up in the hospital for a couple of days. To add insult to injury (so to speak) we also lost one of our furry friends during this period--a sweet kitty named Biesmeyer who'd been with us for 17 years.  Not the best way to start a new year, but I figure it can only go up from here, right? Anyway, we're starting to turn the corner and life is slowly beginning to come back into focus.

I had a chance to get back to my craft room and actually do something today.  It felt good--real good. I look forward to spending more time there. I'm convinced it's good for the soul.

Anyway, here's the end result of my efforts today. 



This stamp is an old one by Stampendous. It always reminded me of Italy, and that's where Mom was born. Anyway, I was thinking of her when I made this and it's comforting to me to know she really is home now. 

After stamping the image, I colored it with colored pencils, and adhered it to a piece of paper I'd stamped with test and inked.  I then matted it with black and adhered it to a terracotta panel I'd embossed with a distressed lines folder.  The sentiment was stamped on a double ended banner die cut, and that too was inked and matted in black. A bit of knotted black checked ribbon and a few black pearls finished the panel, and the whole lot was adhered to a black card base.

It's starting to snow and the lighting is really horrible, so it was difficult trying to get a decent photo. But in real life it's a rather handsome piece, and I think Mom would have approved. 

Hope to be back more regularly very soon. In the meantime, take care of yourselves and don't wait until later to tell someone you love them. The only moment you can be sure of is right now. 

2 comments:

  1. So glad you're back...and thanks for the thanks! Sorry to hear your 2012 is off to a rocky start, but you haven't lost your stamping mojo. Love how the flower extends beyond the frame, and the colors are so perfect...wish we were there in the snow instead of here in ours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kathy, my heart goes out to you. Sending you long distance {{{hugs}}}.

    This is a lovely card. I adore the Stampendous scenic stamps. The pops of black really make the entire card just pop. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete