Friday, October 28, 2011

Adventures with an Edge Die


I've been meaning to try using this edge die on a card base, but somehow I never remember to do it before I'm too far into a design. For you younger friends, before you snicker, remember you'll be old and forgetful one day, too!

Anyway, I wanted to make a Miss You card for Operation Write Home using this Floral Fusion stamp from PaperTrey.  Since there's a die that matches the stamp, I began digging through my dies and lo and behold--there's that edge die I've been meaning to try.  Well now, let's just give it a try, I thought.  So I placed the die on my card base, cranked it through my Big Shot, and voila--a fancy shmancy bottom edge just like that! Very cool, actually. Don't know why it's taken me so long to try this--now darn it you young whippersnappers, quite your giggling!

OK, back to the card, I stamped the flowers in Fresh Snow onto citrus colored card stock scraps and cut them out with the matching die. Then I stamped the leaves/stems on the card base, adhered the flowers (the center one is popped up on dimensionals), and stamped the sentiment.  Using a couple of Martha Stewart punches, I punched the solid butterfly from a scrap of orange paper, then punched the lacy butterfly in green  and layered it on top. A little strip of green card stock, a yellow gingham ribbon and my card was starting to take shape. It still felt a little naked though,  so I added a few dots of pearl with a Viva pen. Better--but still not enough.  Hmmmm, well no respecting butterfly zooms about without a proper "zoom tail", so I added a bit of black pen work and solved that problem.  Still a little unfinished feeling.  As a final step, I decided to add more black pen stitches around the edge of the whole lot.  OK, now it felt dressed!

Actually, though I really like the edge effect, I think I'd avoid edging the back of the card like I did here. The card doesn't stand up when it's opened, which might (or maybe not) be a problem. I had to prop it up to photograph it. But hey, it was my first time after all!  So, get those edgers, border punches, or whatever else you've been meaning to try, out of the drawer and given 'em a try!  You can have an adventure too, and never even have to leave home! How cool's that? Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment